Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

I Just Want You To Like Me


Why I started this blog:

Once upon a time, I was a 22 year old new mother with a new baby that I had no idea what to do with and a husband, who was no longer answering my calls during the work day because he knew I was probably calling to talk about poop.  I was lonely and desperate for mommy friends.  I can still remember the excitement I felt when I saw the sign going up for the new Gymboree in town. I  signed Colin up, put on my best pair of sweatpants, brushed my teeth and my hair, threw on a little deodorant, and approached my first class like most single people approach speed dating.  In all honesty, trying to make a new mommy friend, while caring for a small child, is a lot like speed dating only the buzzer doesn't buzz; it cries, bites, and smells bad.

I still remember the day I met my first mommy friend.  She overheard me tell another mom where I lived, and she ran over, looked me right in the eye, and said, "I live in (bleep cause there are crazy people on web) too. Let's schedule a play date!"  Amy has been my best friend every since.  Interestingly enough, I met 4 of my best friends there.  No, I can't pick just one as my best friend.  They are all that awesome!  I actually found the Gymboree name tag my friend Jennifer gave me with her contact info the other day.  I don't even feel a little weird that I've kept it all these years.  Meeting these wonderful women was a turning point in my life.  They made me feel normal and better about myself.  

When I wanted to talk about baby poop, I called them.  It's been 9 years, and sometimes we still have conversations about poop.  Every time I feel like a lousy mom, they remind me I'm not.  I believe that every mother deserves that, and I know how hard it can be to find a good support system.

There are a million blogs out there that'll tell you how to be a better mother, get $7 million dollars worth of groceries for $1, throw a birthday party Martha Stewart would be jealous of for less than $5, why you should vaccinate/not vaccinate, why you should rear face forever, and why you should cloth diaper your baby.  I want to be the blog you go to when you catch your boys sword fighting with their penises, find out your daughter spent nap time finger painting with her poop, or when you have to do the walk of shame all day because you forgot to bring shoes for one of your kids to the pediatrician's office.  I want to be that blog that reminds you how awesome you are!  I want to be the place you go to feel better about yourself.  Regardless of what's gone wrong with your day, know I'm always here to remind you that we've all been there!  

Motherhood isn't something you should ever do alone.  You need someone to text when you having a little alone time in the closet under the pretext of playing hide and seek with the children.

PS...if you have a Facebook account, and we aren't besties over there, click 

https://www.facebook.com/oneislikenoneand hit the like button.  

PSS... Today I ate Colin's last birthday cupcake while he was at school.  When he asked what happened to it, I told him I found mold on it.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment